What Exactly is Copywriting? Your Top Three Questions Answered
Since I launched my copywriting business, people have been asking, “What exactly is it that you do?” And it’s not just clients — my friends and family are curious, too! So, I thought I would answer the three most popular questions I get here.
What is copywriting?
Copywriting is all about using words to engage and persuade the reader into making a purchase or signing up for a newsletter.
We don’t just cobble sentences together; we use words to capture readers’ attention and imagination. Think of it as a gentle nudge to encourage someone to buy that fantastic product or sign up for a newsletter packed with exciting updates. It’s like having a friendly chat with the brand rather than just reading words on a page.
Whether it’s a catchy slogan, an irresistible offer, or a story that tugs at your emotions, copywriting helps businesses connect with their customers and motivate them to take action.
What do copywriters actually write?
Copywriters are like content chameleons. We can tackle a wide range of projects. Here are just a few examples of the content we can create.
- Marketing materials — Ads, flyers and anything to promote you, your product or your brand
- Websites — Create or improve your web pages, write product descriptions and create landing pages (those pages that welcome you in and make you stay)
- Social Media — Writing catchy posts, fun captions and eye-catching ads.
- E-mails — Marketing emails, friendly newsletters and templates for your email conversations.
- Blog posts and articles — Informative blog posts for websites or educational articles for magazines.
- Press releases — Announcing your latest news or event.
- Product packaging — Labels, packaging blurb and handy instructions.
- Video and Podcast Scripts — Writing scripts for promotional videos, podcast ads or even captions for video content.
- Direct mail — Letters, postcards and those catalogues you get through the post.
- E-Commerce — Product Listings, Reviews and detailed descriptions
- Public Relations — Messaging and content for media pitches and PR campaigns